Wednesday, March 17, 2010
A Foodie Weekend
Wow, so I ate this weekend.

I ate a LOT of good food.

We took a long weekend trip to Atlanta, where we spent a day at the Georgia Aquarium and ate at some excellent restaurants.

When we got in on Saturday evening, we went to Woodfire Grill, where the chef was a finalist last season on Top Chef. We decided to get adventurous and had the tasting menu, which seemed to be loosely based on the chef's competition dishes from the show and was AMAZING. My favorite course was the sliced raw diver scallop with peekytoe crab salad (my husband says I liked it just because of the name), closely tied with the main course of sous-vide tandoori lamb loin. Everything was just fantastic, though. We came home with a signed menu so it'll be that much easier to remember it all.

We also went to another Top Chef finalist's restaurant, Flip Burger. It was definitely different - fancy burger bar rather than fancy sit-down restaurant, but I definitely enjoyed my nutella shake with toasted marshmallows on top. They also had the best fried pickles I've ever had... and I've had a lot of fried pickles.

It really wasn't only about the food - the aquarium was really exciting too. It's the biggest in the world, and we took the behind-the-scenes tour, where we got to see the surgery and lab areas and tops of the enormous whale shark and beluga whale tanks.



Oh, and the hotel? Ridiculously luxurious. This is (a terrible cell phone picture of) the tub, which I managed to not take advantage of. But if I had? It would have been awesome.

3 Comments:
Blogger Kristen said...
Sounds like a TON of fun!

Blogger Jenny said...
that is awesome! what made you decide to go to Atlanta?

Blogger Bonnie said...
The aquarium - we'd been wanting to go for a while. All the great food was a bonus, so we decided to make a weekend of it!