Monday, March 22, 2010
Jenny: New and Improved Domesticated Version
Okay, so we are on week two of not having a full time job. I am now a domestic goddess with a part time cosmetics freelancing job only working about 19 hours per week. I am not sure week one really counted as a break because the Tovson's were moving and I had family in town. So things are settling down a bit and now I am going to get a real feel for what it's like to be CEO of the McGee house.

What is funny is that every time I tell people that I am going to stay at home and work part time they always say "Oh, that's not you. You will get bored quickly." I think it's funny that people assume I can't enjoy being domestic. It's not like being a working woman made me a ferrel animal and now I have to adjust to the captivity of of domestic life. I have cooked, cleaned, and run the house while working full time. I did have the help of a cleaning lady twice a month but that will go away. Other wise I am doing all the same things I always did but with more time to relax and enjoy my family and friends in between.I think the truth is that I am a perfectionist and I want to be good at whatever I do. For years I have been channeling that into a career. Now I want switch gears and channel it into being a great wife, running my house hold the way I really want to, and hopefully someday being a Mother.

Mind you it's only been a week but so far I don't see being bored in the near future. Today alone I managed to complete meal planning, straighten out a debacle with the insurance company, go the grocery store, pull everything out of the fridge and wash all the bins and shelves (a project I have been trying to get to for weeks), complete a weeks worth of meal prep, make dinner, mop the kitchen floor, watch a movie, and write this blog post. I had plenty of things to do and not once did I long for tedious conference calls or emails labeled: EXTREMELY URGENT REPLY IMMEDIATELY!I have a list a mile long of projects I want to complete and plenty of things I want to learn how to do. However, in case I do get bored I have several back up plans including going back to school and volunteer work. So nobody worry about me because I am going to be plenty busy.
3 Comments:
Blogger Bonnie said...
I predict you'll love it. That's what I did for about a year before I ended up going back to work (sort of accidentally) and it was great. I was NEVER lacking in things to do.

Blogger Kristen said...
There are ALWAYS things to do around the house. When you get bored, just take a look around...I'm sure you'll find something to do!

Blogger Leah said...
Haha, thats so funny that people said that to you... I would definitely have never thought that about you. I know you have an ending talent for creating projects! No one has ever said that to me about staying home, I wonder what that is supposed to mean?!?!