Friday, April 9, 2010
Cleaning with Grandma T!
I spent the last few days cleaning my house. Whenever I clean I think of my Grandma Tompson because she was one of the cleanest (and coolest) people I have ever known. Her house was immaculate and organized at all times. My friends consider me a neat freak but I was sub par compared to my Grandma. She passed away in 2008 and I miss her very much.

I was rifling through some papers today and found a copy of some of my Grandma's homemade cleaning formulas she had written out. My Aunt Jill copied them for me and I am so grateful. I thought I would share some homemade cleaning products from the cleanest person I have ever met.

Stain Remover:
1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon of dish soap

Carpet Cleaner:
3 Tablespoons of dish soap
1/2 teaspoon of ammonia
1 teaspoon white vinegar
3/4 cup of water

Room Deodorizer:
1 cup of white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract

Cleaning Scrub (great for cleaning dingy appliances):
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons of baking soda
2 tablespoons of bleach

Stainless steel cleaner:
Equal parts rubbing alcohol and baby oil. Shake well before use.

You may have noticed that there is vinegar in several of these recipes. My Grandma Tompson used vinegar for everything. After she passed away we found a little spray bottle of vinegar in almost every room in the house. My uncle Scott placed a little bottle in her memorial urn so she could stay clean in heaven.



2 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
Reading that a little bottle of vinegar went with her made me tear up. How sweet!

Blogger Kristen said...
Your grandma sounds like my grandmother! She is the cleanest person that I have ever met...so clean that it freaks me out a little!!!